Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lab 6


For this project I decided to work with data representing Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California. The island is 22 miles long and eight miles across at its greatest width. The highest point is 2097 feet atop Mt. Oriziba. It is the only Channel Island with a functioning city, called Avalon, which has a population of about 3200 people, and there is a smaller unincorporated village called Two Harbors with about 250 residents. I have visited several of the Channel Islands before, but Catalina has become my favorite only because of Avalon, a very interesting city where most travel by golf cart. I thought it would be interesting to work with the island on this project because I wanted to see how the gradients and 3D would look in this extreme circumstance of having a mountain emerge out of an otherwise completely flat ocean surface. I had some trouble with the 3D projections, I could not find a color gradient that accentuated the island best. If I were to do this project again I would choose a different color gradient to better express ridge lines and such, but I am otherwise satisfied with my final outcome.



North American Data of 1983
West: -118.684722
East: -118.225000
North: 33.517222
South: 33.275833

No comments:

Post a Comment